This is a blog about music, photography, history, and culture.
These are photographs from my collection that tell a story about lost time and forgotten music.

Mike Brubaker
{ Click on the image to expand the photo }

Sousaphone with Saxophones

14 March 2014




The best photographs of a wind band
should always have at least
one sousaphone player of the feminine variety;







one trumpet player with bow tie quality;







One clarinet player of a crooner character;









one music teacher with good ears and a formal style;








and lots and lots ...







of curvacious saxophones!








It was an unnamed school band
from an unidentified town.
 
We will never know who played the best saxophone.
 
But who do you suppose was
always the center of attention?



This is my contribution to Sepia Saturday.
Click the link for photos with less sax appeal.



15 comments:

Brett Payne said...

My bet's on the curvaceous sousaphone player of the feminine variety.

Alex Daw said...

Look at all those saxophones! Wow! Such a great photo. Well done!

La Nightingail said...

Alex is right! That's a lot of saxophones which would be fine with me. I love the sound of the alto sax especially when played well. My daughter has taken up her alto sax again after many years, but after the first time she began to practice without warning, startling her father & me within an inch of a heart attack, we told her she had to let us know before she starts to play from now on! And yes, there's no doubt that sousaphone player attracted some attention - but not only because of her choice of instrument. She is also very attractive!

Susanna Rosalie said...

How funny! And impressive, too.

I wonder what the band has sounded like. We don't have this tradition of school bands here in Germany.

Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous photo. They look quite mature to be school students. Is it possible that they are college students. i often wish I could insert a photo in a comment as part of a reply !

Nancy said...

Forget what they look like! I wanna hear how that little band sounds! They are a lovely looking group, though.

Jofeath said...

Yes, we need a suitable soundtrack to go with the photo, no matter that it isn't actually this band playing!

Wendy said...

I went to a jazz club in New Orleans specifically to hear a sousaphone and sax duo, mainly out of curiosity . How good could that be? Turns out it was quite good.

21 Wits said...

I can hear their beautiful music floating through their happy faces. Great photos.

Little Nell said...

I had to google Sousaphone as I’d never heard of it and I thought John Philip Sousa may have had something to do with it. My knowledge of musical instruments has now been increased a little!

Kristin said...

Wonder what they would play and where.

Postcardy said...

The sousaphone is so big, it would have to be the center of attention. I am surprised to see a woman playing it.

luvlinens said...

I am amazed at the # of Saxophones. How did that ever happen? I guess they must sound very "Saxy"? Pardon me I just couldn't resist.

Rosie said...

Would have loved to have heard this band, bet they sounded great!

Tattered and Lost said...

Oh I so want to know what became of the sousaphone player later in life. The story possibilities are endless.

nolitbx

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP