This is a blog about music, photography, history, and culture.
These are photographs from my collection that tell a story about lost time and forgotten music.

Mike Brubaker
{ Click on the image to expand the photo }

The Clown Band

09 October 2020

 

The Circus

by C. J. Dennis, (1876–1938)

Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town!
Have you seen the elephant? Have you seen the clown?
Have you seen the dappled horse gallop round the ring?
Have you seen the acrobats on the dizzy swing?
Have you seen the tumbling men tumble up and down?
Hoop-la! Hoop-la! the circus is in town!








Hey, there! Hoop-la! Here’s the circus troupe!
Here’s the educated dog, jumping through the hoop.
See the lady Blondin with the parasol and fan,
The lad upon the ladder and the india-rubber man.
See the joyful juggler and the boy who loops the loop.
Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Here’s the circus troupe!




*** ***












This clown band and its educated bull terrier
were not identified on this small 4"x3" snapshot photo.
They stand outside the doorway of a crude shack
which has a damaged foundation
that tilts down alarmingly on one side.
It gives the photo an absurd quality
that matches the fantastic faces of the clown troupe.



Their clown uniforms are, needless to say, not any standard to make a judgement of when or where the photo was taken. My best guess is roughly 1910-1930, somewhere in the United States. These six zany musicians could be a group of amateurs like the Zanesville Rube Band, but I think they look too professional, especially their shoes. Check out the shoe size of the cymbal player in the doorway, and the stray boot behind the snare drummer. Those are the footwear of professional fools.







Clarence Michael James Stanislaus (C.J.) Dennis (1876–1938)
Source: Wikimedia Commons


This poem was written by C. J. Dennis, (1876–1938),  a prolific Australian poet celebrated for his humorous poetry, often in dialect verse. His full name was Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis, and he was born in Auburn, South Australia. He published his first poem at age 19 while employed as a solicitor's clerk. He moved on to work at numerous literary publications and newspapers. His second book of poetry, The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke, published in 1916, sold 65,000 copies in its 1st year, and by 1917 he had become the most successful poet in Australian history. During his lifetime C. J. Dennis produced over 12 collections of poetry. This poem, The Circus, appeared in A Book for Kids, published in 1921.

Dennis died in 1938 in Melbourne at age 61. Joseph Lyons, then Prime Minister of Australia, said of him: "I am sure that I speak for all Australians in expressing deep regret at the death of C. J. Dennis. He was the Robert Burns of Australia. He created characters which have become immortal and he captured the true Australian spirit. Already his work is world-famous, and future generations will treasure it."









This is my contribution to Sepia Saturday
where ice cream is on special offer all weekend.







5 comments:

Susan said...

A clown band? I never thought of that, but it would be popular and have plenty of gags inspired by music.

La Nightingail said...

I like the poem, but I would not like the band. I have no idea why clowns give me the heebie-jeebies? I asked my Mom once if something bad happened with clowns when I was young, but she couldn't think of anything that might make me feel so uncomfortable around them even to this day, so it's a bit of a mystery. But I DO NOT LIKE clowns of any sort for any reason. One of my daughters wanted to be a clown for Halloween one year. A friend was even lending her a clown costume. I was much opposed to the idea, but I let her do it. Every time I look at a picture of her in that clown costume, though, I just don't like it. Oh well. I actually didn't much care for circuses either, come to think of it. Perhaps in part because of the clowns, but I didn't like the scary suspense of trainers with dangerous animals or especially of those doing high-wire and trapeze acts. I did like the poem, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I likely would not have noticed the shoes had you not pointed them out. It does make you wonder why they posed in this particular spot.

ScotSue said...

It was very interesting for me to see your photographs of other clown bands, as I had never come across the term until I found out about such a band in my now home village - I have posted about Earlston Clown Band on my blog, but have not managed to find out how the concept of the band came about. Thank you for your comment on my post about the “sensitive material” warning. You hit the nail on the head - I have replied to your comment.

Molly of Molly’s Canopy said...

Nice posit capturing the spirit of this week’s prompt. That photo of the clown band is quite a find. Did not realize that clown bands were a thing until reading this post and your previous one about the Zanesville band. My late mom, a music educator, had a wonderful sense of humor and would have loved the concept of a clown band had she been aware of them.

nolitbx

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP