This is a blog about music, photography, history, and culture.
These are photographs from my collection that tell a story about lost time and forgotten music.

Mike Brubaker
{ Click on the image to expand the photo }

Mein System!

18 July 2020










Mein System is a good one!
I do it every day.

 Ten twists to left.
Ten more to right.


* *

















Up on the toes!
Times twenty more.
 
Then arch the back
and calves
I stretch. 




* *
















The bends to side
are most important
for balance
of the vital organs.




* *

















And so to health
I am restored!

As fit and limber
as ever I was.






* *


This humorous set of four postcards
are the work of one of my favorite artists in my collection.
His name was Fritz Schönpflug ( 1873 – 1951),
an Austrian artist, who produced
hundreds of playful caricatures
of Viennese life in the time
of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
Last year I featured some of his postcards
in my story entitled:
Getting Around in Old Wien.




The first card was never mailed
but in Schönpflug's signature is the number "907"
which is an Eastern European shorthand for the year 1907.




The third card was postmarked from Berlin
on 13 November 1908
demonstrating the wide range of distribution
that Schönpflug's publisher
arranged for these popular postcards.





The fourth card with Schönpflug's
stalwart character doing squats
was sent through the French postal service
on
30 March 1909 to a Monsieur G. Rey at the
Gardieu de Batterie, Fort de la Revère.
This military fortress, built between 1882 and 1885
above the village of Eze,
is located on the French Mediterranean coast
between Nice and Monaco.




The second postcard with the gentleman on his toes
was sent on 29 January 1908
from Frankfurt, Germany
to Friedrick Mayer
(?) in Heidelberg.

I scanned this card only yesterday,
and when I looked more closely at the message
and greeting on the front of the card
I noticed that the sender signed his name
Dein (?) Freund ~
your friend
Fritz S pflug.




I believe this postcard may have been sent
by the artist, Fritz Schönpflug, himself.
The quick style of handwriting
is similar to the signature on his artwork,
and seems like a compressed mannerism
that a caricature artist would make.
If I'm correct, how cool is that?
I welcome any help on translating the message.







This is my contribution to Sepia Saturday
where for a change,
colors are on display this weekend.

https://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2020/07/sepia-saturday-529-18th-july-2020.html



6 comments:

Molly's Canopy said...

Wow, a signed artwork! That's quite a find...as are these humorous cards. Could the gentleman pictured actually do these exercises in life? No matter. At the hands of a cartoonist's pen, he looks like a ballet dancer. Great post!

smkelly8 said...

Terrific postcards. Beyond getting people to smile, did they get people to exercise?

La Nightingail said...

Fun, chuckle-worthy art with a serious message: No matter what shape you're in, exercise always helps! :)

Wendy said...

I think the value of this set of cards just went up!

Barbara Rogers said...

How cool to have a message from the artist. I have a German friend (away on vacation this week) and can ask her to translate, if you haven't found one already. I do love caricatures!

JMP183 said...

Love, love, love the cards! Very entertaining.

nolitbx

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP