This is a blog about music, photography, history, and culture.
These are photographs from my collection that tell a story about lost time and forgotten music.

Mike Brubaker
{ Click on the image to expand the photo }

The Eye Behind the Camera

11 December 2021

 

 
  This is my dad,
Lt. Russell Brubaker,
with his new camera,
an Alpa Reflex #4, purchased for $166
at the Tokyo post exchange in May 1952.
He also paid a little extra
for a roll of 35mm Kodachrome film,
which was probably his first venture into color photos.
This self-portrait posed before a mirror in his hotel room
was his first photo with the Alpa.
He guessed the exposure and got the focus wrong.
It was not his first camera
and would not be his last either,
but it was this particular camera
that introduced him to
the wondrous world of photography.
 
The reason I know this detail of camera trivia
is that my dad left notes.
Lots and lots of notes
attached to albums, binders, and boxes
containing thousands of photographs
that he took over a long lifetime
as an amateur photographer.

It began almost immediately after his graduation
from the Army ROTC program
at the University of Maryland.
It was 1951 and the United States was at war.
 
Again.
 
My dad, with his new lieutenant's commission,
received orders for Korea.
There was barely enough time
to get married to my mom.
Which, fortunately for me, they did.

 


 
After his arrival in Korea my dad was first assigned as a platoon leader of Company L (Love), 3rd Battalion, of the 38th infantry regiment, 2nd Division. A few weeks later he was reassigned as the battalion's communication officer and sent to Japan for training at the Army's Air/Ground School in Tokyo. The Far East was pretty exotic for a boy who grew up in a small farming community outside Baltimore and who had never seen real mountains or oceans except in schoolbooks. A camera must have seemed a fantastic device to record this new adventure, and the Alpa would document many more.
 
This is my favorite action shot of my dad. The Alpa is attached to a tripod and my dad, wearing his helmet, is about to pull the trigger.  I featured it in my 2018 story, Everything In Focus. Presumably the photo was taken by one of his fellow officers.
 
 
Perhaps his target was this soldier.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Or this lieutenant.
  

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Or maybe this captain.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Or maybe this young officer.
 

The detail of who took the shot of my father got left out of my dad's annotations, but I may yet uncover it. Like I said, there are a lot of notes. It's interesting to me that in the hundreds of personal photos he took during his year in Korea, my dad never recorded anything resembling actual warfare. There are no guns, bombs, destruction, or worse. Though he served under fire and was even awarded the Bronze Star, all his photos are more like the fun kind that a tourist, or maybe a boy scout camper, might take.
 
From the number of photos he took of other soldiers with cameras, it's clear my dad was participating in a new fad for photography. Considering that this was only 6-7 years after the end of World War 2, the availability of fine Swiss cameras like the Alpa, must have been a novel change for American consumers, particularly with soldiers serving in foreign countries.
 
When my dad returned safely home at the end of 1952, he switched from the infantry to the transportation corps. After more training in Virginia, he was sent to France, another exotic place for a camera enthusiast, but this time he could take his wife Barbara. A few months later I came along and the rest is history, as they say.


 
 

My mom was an artist and quickly learned the basic techniques of photography. Years later on a trip to Scotland, Wales, and England, my dad took a photo of her taking a photo of him on a ferry platform in western Scotland. I'm still hoping to find the matching photo. Did I mention that there are a lot of photos?

After my dad's first tour in Korea, then came an assignment in Virginia, followed by three years in France. Then another tour in Korea, now peaceable after the armistice, then stateside again. Then Germany, then Virginia, then Vietnam, then Virginia again. Throughout his army career, my dad used his cameras to record hundreds of pictures of the people and places he saw. He had a good eye and a talent for framing a good photo.
 
This passion for all things photographic led my dad to take up developing film, printing photos, and eventually amassing a camera collection large enough to rival any museum. The Alpa was just the first of dozens of Swiss, German, Russian, and Japanese cameras that my dad would buy, almost always at a pre-owned used price. Every camera is listed in several long spreadsheets with details on provenance, price, condition, etc. I no longer have the Alpa, the rewinder was broke anyway, and most of his collection was sold to a vintage camera !dealer shortly after his death in 2014.
 
I do, however, still have that first tripod, one of maybe two dozen, and maybe the leather case to, if I hunt for it. Cameras used to need lots of accessories like lens, light meters, filters, etc. It was once cutting-edge technology. Did I mention that I still have a lot of this stuff? Make me an offer. Please.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Finally in closing,
here is a matched pair of photos
of two photographers
seeing eye to eye.

 
 
 

 
 
A few years ago, my dad took this photo of me taking a photo of him.
 

 
 
 By coincidence we both wore a watch that recorded the same time.
It was about 11:08 in the morning.
Two eyes, two cameras,
each reflecting the other.

 
 
Time without time.
Tempo senza tempo.

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
This is my contribution to Sepia Saturday
where every point of view is always welcome.






7 comments:

smkelly8 said...

I love photos of photographers. You're lucky to have these family photos.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my, you could hire someone to go through your dad's photo collection. Or not. It probably is an adventure that you might well enjoy. I'd say you might have caught the photographer's bug from him! Thanks for sharing some of his life here.

Monica T. said...

Oh wow, that's a lot of photos of photographers taking photos of other photographers! I know a bit about "too many" photos... My grandfather worked for a newspaper, but also took a lot of private photos. I think after he died my dad gave a lot of his photos to a local museum. My dad took lots of photos as well, and he had a special interest in railways. He took lots of railway photos and also wrote books about railway history. When he died, we donated a whole truckload of stuff to the national railway museum, including all photo negatives. As he often used the same camera/film for railway photography and family photos, we just let the museum have them all.,, I still have more than enough copies in albums and boxes...

La Nightingail said...

Wonderful, perfect photographs to match the prompt! I can see why that second photo of your Dad is one of your favorites. I think his personality must shine through that one - it certainly seems so, anyway. What a smile! Every year when my Dad's side of the family (plus) gather's at Lake Tahoe for our yearly reunion, my cousin and I made it a point to take a picture of each other in tandem. I can't remember how or why it started though I know it was by chance and then with unspoken agreement, we did it every year from then on. Unfortunately he passed away this year and I will miss those simultaneous photos of each other. I will, of course, miss much more about him - he was a lovely person, but our little yearly 'fun' was special. I'm glad I have all the pictures we did take of each other year after year! :)

ScotSue said...

Ideal images to match this week's prompt - and very different from your usual 19th century musicians.

Molly's Canopy said...

What a wonderful post! A nice family-history break from your usual musical/band offerings. My dad was a WWII vet and he, too, was bitten by the camera bug -- which began when he was in high school. He moved from prints to slides to 8 movies as the photography trends changes with technology. He also had a basement darkroom, where he developed black and white prints and spliced movie rolls into themed offerings. The last photos of you and your dad with the synchronized watches are priceless. Thanks so much for this more personal post. I hope you will do more of them.

tony said...

The Joy Of Photography !
What comes across to me especially is the sheer joy of the moment.
You just cannot have "too many" photos!
I noticed his visit to Scotland . Maybe he took one of me ? !
A Lovely Post .Thank You.

nolitbx

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP